Since its formation in 1972, the Lobby Corps has made tens of thousands of visits to congressional offices, making AAUW a familiar and respected name among members of Congress and their staffs. Because this corps has worked hand in hand with lobbying staff, AAUW has had a significant political impact on legislation concerning issues such as
- civil rights,
- reproductive rights, and
- economic security.
Those interested in participating in the Lobby Corps advocacy work please complete the Lobby Corps Membership and return it to Sonya Berg at berg.sonya42 (at) gmail.com
AAUW Lobby Corps 2018 hosted the following training opportunities:
1. League of Women Voters of New Mexico, “Workshop on Effective Citizen Advocacy at the Legislature”, was held Saturday, December 9, 2017, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, NM State Capitol, Room 322. Included tips from legislators and a professional lobbyist on how to interact with legislators, speak at hearings, and advocate for your cause. Lynn Heffron, Santa Fe, has worked with the League on this and all AAUW-NM members were welcome.
2. Albuquerque branch held Lobby Corps training at their monthly meeting, Saturday January 6 from 12:30-2:30 p.m. at North Domingo Baca Multigenerational Center, 7520 Carmel Ave. NE ABQ. “Public Policy 101” presenters were from LWVNM: Judy Williams, President, and Diane Goldfarb, Director, Reproductive Choice.
3. Santa Fe branch had Lobby Corps training at their January meeting.
4. Las Vegas branch had Lobby Corps training at their January meeting.
5. A GoToMeeting open to all members was held on Saturday, January 6, 2018. During the
presentation, the legislative website was hosted live on computer screens. Sonya Berg led an exploration of this resource for those in attendance.
All information and forms required for lobbyists can be found at: http://www.sos.state.nm.us/Lobbyist_Information
Do familiarize yourself with the regulations found in the Lobbyist Regulation Act (under Forms).
- Follow NM Bills with a daily report on bills that matters to AAUW-NM at CQ State Track web reports
- See the Public Policy Timeline to help plan activities and events
- Read AAUW Position Papers on Title IX, Education, Economic Security, and Civil Rights
- Join the AAUW Action Network and become a Two-Minute Activist
- You can also subscribe to AAUW Washington Update e-newsletter